Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Italian Bread Pudding

I just realized that I haven't actually posted any recipes in quite a while and figured I'd try to rectify that real quick! This is a recipe that I made for my Christmas brunch and will absolutely be keeping in the make-again file. I actually made it for our women's bible study, as well. Put it this way, both times the casserole dish was all but licked clean:-) It's especially good for those times that you need to bring a "brunchy" kind of casserole to church, MOPS, that sort of thing. Easy to throw together and since it has to sit in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, you can do it the night before and just throw it in the oven the next morning. Enjoy!

Italian Bread Pudding

Prep: 15 min., Chill: 4 hr., Bake: 55 min., Stand: 5 min.

5 large eggs
*1 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon dried basil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper1
(9.5-oz.) package frozen mozzarella-and-Monterey Jack cheese Texas toast, chopped
3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
8 fully cooked bacon slices, chopped
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
Garnish: fresh basil leaves

1. Whisk together first 6 ingredients until blended.
2. Layer half of Texas toast in a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish; sprinkle with half each of tomatoes, bacon, and cheese. Repeat layers once. Pour egg mixture over toast and cheese. Cover and chill 4 to 24 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 325°. Bake casserole 50 to 55 minutes or until center is set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish, if desired.

*1 1/4 cups egg substitute may be substituted.

Note: For testing purposes only, we used Pepperidge Farm Mozzarella and Monterey Jack Texas Toast. (Karrie's note: I used a generic store brand that was $2 cheaper than the Pepperidge Farm and it tasted just fine:-)

Texas Toast Bread Pudding: Omit dried basil, tomatoes, and bacon. Proceed with recipe as directed.

Sausage Roll Casserole: Omit dried basil, tomatoes, and bacon. Increase cheese to 1 1/2 cups. Substitute 1 (18-oz.) package frozen sausage wrap rolls for Texas toast. Break apart sausage rolls; cut each roll crosswise into thirds, cutting across sausage. Proceed with recipe as directed.

Note: For testing purposes only, we used Sister Schubert's Sausage Wrap Rolls.

Yield: Makes 6 servingsSouthern Living, DECEMBER 2008

5 comments:

AW said...

Okay, you're no help at all. LOL!

amy luella said...

which versions have you tried? and liked? wish i was there to have tasted it for myself!=)

Karrie said...

A-I know, I know! I actually thought about putting a disclaimer in there just for you, but forgot:-) Tell you what, though, I actually have a REALLY yummy dinner recipe that I figured out I can make for the schnitz which means that you would be able to make it for you! I'll try to post that one before the end of the day. You know I love you and would never want to leave you out (or intentionally send a thankyou note talking about the wonders of fresh bread;-)

Amy-I've only made the first version, but it was awesome! I may try the sausage version sometime in the near future and will let you know what I think:-)

Janice said...

This recipe is awesome for those of you who haven't tried it! Karrie, I just don't know if mine would come out as good as yours and I don't even get a chance to try it out next week for MOPS as they only want me to bring baby Tyler! Can you imagine?!? Two months from now, I'll bring it though.

Anonymous said...

wish i had used this recipe last night. will certainly give it a try for the next pot luck!:)

katy