Monday, April 27, 2009

A new resolve to carpe diem

I am truly embarrassed to admit this, but even after almost 3 years of motherhood I still have to really fight my tendency to think of my days in terms of my own "to do" list rather than appreciating the time I have to spend with my child. The crazy thing about this is that I have a beautiful, intelligent and incredibly entertaining son. With the exception of the normal childhood tantrums, he is honestly just a LOT of fun to spend time with. He's had a sense of humor that has astounded me since around 6 months old and now that he can talk? Truly a trip. I have really liked all of the stages that he's gone through from cuddly baby on, but have to say that this is my favorite so far. So why do I spend so much time worrying about what time the laundry and dishes get done when these years are going to speed by and before long he'll be a teenager who wants to do anything other than hang out with his mama?


So I've decided, especially with the wonderful days of summer (at some point) descending upon us, to try to be far more intentional in spending time with this awesome kid that God has blessed us with and more flexible with my "to do" list. Spend more time letting him sit in my lap to read books, play at the park, and just enjoy him.

I started making good on this new resolution last Wednesday as we were leaving MOPS. We have a fantastic playground at our church and as we were walking past it to get to the car, Rusty very excitedly began telling me how he had gone on the slide and it was "so fun!!". I continued to the car and then realized that it was a beautiful day and we didn't actually have any reason in the world that we had to leave right then. So, I turned around and we proceeded to have a great time playing on the equipment for the next 45 minutes and it was just fun! Why on earth don't I think of that stuff more often?

The next day was Thursday and I had to go into the office for the day. We got home at about 5:30 and it was so nice that it seemed pretty much mandatory that we spend at least a little bit of time playing outside. Dinner could wait awhile. Daddy came home and we decided (with a bit of prompting from the schnitz) to take a walk to the fire station that's about a two minute walk behind the house. As we walked up, an older fireman saw us coming, greeted us and told us he'd grab a rookie to show us around. We ended up having an awesome, impromtu field trip! And for whatever reason, I had grabbed my camera and so even got a few pictures.



Off to see the fire trucks...
Talk about getting to see the trucks up close!

Mr. Brian was so great with the schnitz and spent at least 30-40 minutes showing him everything. Of course, his favorite part was working the flashlight on the helmut!

How perfect is this? Just as our tour was ending, they got a call and we got to see the whole crew in action!


Heading home...

While writing this post, I kept hearing the words of Trace Adkins' song, "You're Gonna Miss This" and thought it would be an appropriate note to end on. Now go hug your kiddos!:-)




3 comments:

AW said...

I fully realize I'm VERY hormonal, but I need warnings of the possibility of the Ugly Cry when it comes to videos like this. Please have mercy on some of your sensitive readers! :-)Kare Bear, I too am attempting to be very intentional about times with my son. Working FT makes it a little easier sometimes, because my time is so limited, so I'm very aware. But other times, it's easy for me to get wrapped up in the To-Do Lists of my day. Even tonight, Mr. Grumpy Britches was put to bed early and I breathed a sigh of relief. Only to MISS HIM not 10 minutes after he was down, regretting not reading him one more story or cuddling just a few more moments. I can't go back now. Lesson I'm learning all the time...

Karrie said...

If it makes you feel any better, I actually DID intend to put that very warning b/c I had a similar reaction (w/out the hormones!), but Brad came home and I was hurrying to get this posted. Mea culpa!

And I totally hear you...I'm actually trying to work on this a bit more by planning at least one or two new "fun" activities each week through the summer. If it's on the calendar and we're out of the house, it's GOT to be easier. We're actually going to a museum this Friday that has two working farms (w/ lots of baby critters this time of year) and should be a lot of fun. I wish we lived closer so that we could hang out with our kiddos together! But, hang in there, you're a fabulous mom and JK knows you love him. You're doing great with him and will do the same with Monkey II!

Aren't we lucky to have children we enjoy so much?:-)

amy luella said...

way to go, karrie! hearing from you twice in a couple of days!=) those ARE the best times! thanks for sharing (as i have my "must-do-list" on my mind getting ready for my family coming to visit today--it's my mom, and she is so easy, but i still want it clean and pleasant around here.=)) love your perspective!!=)