Saturday, May 23, 2009

I can't tell you how long I've been waiting for this...

Any of you who know me at all, know that I am a BIG lover of books and have been since I can remember. The fact that my husband is ALSO a big lover of books means that our house is full of them. To the tune of six bookshelves and growing. To be perfectly honest, I can't think of a single member of our immediate family that doesn't have at least one book going at all times.

Due to this fact, it shouldn't be hard for you to imagine that one of the things that I have MOST looked forward to in this parenting adventure, is the chance to pass along this love of books to the schnitz. Now, it didn't start out in such a promising fashion. Until about a year or so ago, his response to our reading to him was at best to ignore us, at worst, to throw the book across the room. I wasn't too interested in making him hate reading at the tender age of one and so I decided to be patient and just let him come to the decision that they were worth his time (this is the way he's done everything from walking to talking, so why would this be different?). Well, that phase has passed and he has developed more than a substantial interest...yay! And as excited as I have been about that, I've been waiting for the day that he would be ready for the books that I remember loving when I was little. Since my memory doesn't extend back to my very earliest days, I've had to have a bit of patience in this area. However, tonight we took a trip to Borders and I FINALLY got to indulge myself! I just had to share the books we got with y'all because I have a feeling that it's not just Brad and I who will be taking a stroll down memory lane with these! Enjoy!
And can I just say how happy it made me, in my heart, that he wanted us to read "The Poky Little Puppy" to him three times before bed? He just made my day!:-)

6 comments:

amy luella said...

yay, karrie!! how fun! love sharing/learning about good books out there.

AW said...

I LOVE reading books with Monkey. He mostly reads the pictures, but it's a start. :-) Right now the favorite is "The Very Hungry Caterpillar"...he gets a kick out of pointing out the food.

Anonymous said...

The Poky Little Puppy was my favoritest book ever! Yay!!!!

Elisa said...

Saggy Baggy Elephant was one of my favorites!

The Mama said...

Hey Karrie!! I always find the Golden books for super cheap at half price books here in Arlington (less than $1 each!!) We should go when ya'll come visit. :)

Karrie said...

Sarah...definitely remind me when we get there b/c I would LOVE to do that! I can't pass up a trip to half price books for myself and would love to find more for the schnitz:-)