Monday, October 19, 2009

And then they learn to talk...

You know, I remember that not too long ago I had frequent thoughts of how great it would be when the Schnitz would finally start talking. I thought I would share some snippets from the last few days so that I could explore how that's working out for me...mostly good, some obnoxious, and those that make it all worthwhile;-)

Saturday as we're on our way to the car to drop the Schnitz at KidsTown and take ourselves to game night with our Sunday school class:

Us: "What a great day! The football games were awesome...we're actually #1 in Fantasty Football, the weather is gorgeous and we get a night out! It is a GREAT day!"

Schnitz: (in very Eeyore-esque fashion) "It's NOT a great day! Sun's too bright, it's too hot, football is NOT a good idea!" Hmmm...having any trouble understanding his thoughts on the matter?;-)

This morning as he's using the potty:

"Poop in your pullup says, 'Don't clap your hands'"

Yes, this WAS before coffee and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what an appropriate response to that would be??

Fast forward to this afternoon, after approximately 10 minutes of quiet during which I thought he had finally fallen asleep for his nap. As I'm sitting at the table indulging in the idea that I might actually get some work done, he walks down the stairs:

Schnitz: "I'm done taking my nap."

Me: "What nap? You've been quiet for all of 10 minutes; you never took a nap."

Schnitz: (very matter of factly) "That's because I like to play and THAT'S why you shouldn't take me back upstairs." Then follows a stream of things that, quite honestly, I stopped listening to because I was busy pondering how much easier it was to put him down for a nap before he was mobile! I was then jolted out of my reverie by, "You just need to talk to me!!" LOL! Tell me how you really feel!

But, I have to end this by sharing the best thing I heard all day (especially after we had a bit of a rough afternoon) as I carried him up the stairs to his bed:

"Mama, you're my favorite friend."

Tell me that wouldn't melt a heart of stone:-)

4 comments:

amy luella said...

great, karrie! some are so funny and some so cute during these years! one that threw me for awhile around rusty's age was when hanna said, "i need a bless you." a what?? i finally realized she needed a tissue.=)

amy luella said...

maybe hanna was younger than rusty. it is all getting blurry now.=)

AW said...

LOL! Love these.

Unknown said...

totally laughing!!! hey- we haven't sent our cards out yet...i'm lame. you'll hopefully be getting a happy new year card...or valentine's day card!