Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Weekly Recipe #1

Ok, I was inspired by my friend Summer's last post concerning grocery shopping and the periodic difficulty in deciding what to make for breakfast, lunch, dinner, you name it. So we are asking all of our bloggy friends to post one recipe per week on their site to give us all a little assistance! I mean, who doesn't appreciate a recipe already tested and tried by your friends??:-)

So, here's my first contribution, an old favorite from my grandma's cookbook. Hope you like it as much as we do!

Chicken Rice Casserole

2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/4 C finely minced onion
1/4 tsp thyme (dried)
2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tsp parsley flakes
1 tsp celery flakes
2 2/3 C water
2 2/3 C Minute Rice
3 C cooked chicken
1/2 tsp paprika

Combine soup, onion and seasonings in a pan, mixing well. Gradually add water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour 1/2 soup mixture in greased casserole dish. Making two layers, add rice and chicken. Top with the rest of the liquid. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes (covered). Stir, cover and cook 10 minutes longer. Sprinkle with paprika. May be made in microwave.

*I usually use one large can of chicken or leftovers from a grocery store roasted chicken. Makes GREAT leftovers:-)

5 comments:

AW said...

Yum - this sounds great! Easy peasy! Wondering how I can do it without the cream of mushroom soup...

Karrie said...

This is actually one of my VERY favorite recipes from my growing-up days and Brad loves it too (& you KNOW how picky he is!).

Just because I love you, I've even found a way to solve the cream soup issue for you.

Here's a link to a recipe for homemade cream of whatever soup and I found a site that says that powdered milk of all varieties is available (e.g., soy, rice, etc).

http://www.recipezaar.com/57287

Think I'll have to try this for the shnitz too! So many for recipes I can make him with this cream recipe!!

Let me know what you think:-)

Anonymous said...

Sounds great K.
and i'll take a look at the
non cream options too.
This is making me hungry; i might need some sustenance.

kt

Anonymous said...

Hey Karrie- I tried it and it was a huge hit. Reagan loved it and 2 out of 3 kids thought it a hit as well. That is VERY good for my group!! Thanks for sharing with us! We miss you!
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Score one for Grandma... we eat this all the time and I ususlly take it to people who have had a baby or have been in the hospital or something. I tried it once with broccoli and some velveeta...that was good too, but changed the whole taste.