Friday, August 15, 2008

Having a Blast in Tiny Town

The schnitz and I had such a fun day yesterday that I am breaking my normal mode and actually writing about it within 24 hours! Yes, this event should probably be noted on a calendar as a historic event:-)

My friend Amanda, her two kiddos, Rusty and I all met yesterday morning at a place called Tiny Town. It has a really neat history. According to their website,

"Tiny town was created at the site of the Denver-Leadville stagecoach stop in a scenic mountain canyon southwest of Denver in 1915. That's when moving-company owner George Turner began constructing one-sixth-sized buildings with a turn- of-the-century flavor to delight his young daughter. In 1920 the town was opened to the public. In just five years, it became one of Colorado's top attractions."

This place is so incredibly cool for kids! It's located in Morrison, down 285 just about 6 miles into the foothills. They have 100+ buildings that are, true to their name, tiny, a train that you can ride for $1, great picnic areas and a fantastic playground. We got there at 10:00 and didn't end up leaving until close to 1:00. With kids that are 3, 2, and 1, you can imagine how impressive that is! It didn't hurt that the weather was beautiful with blue skies and 70 degree temps! We had a great time and will definitely be making a return trip!


The outside and inside of Rusty's favorite building...he played in there forever! Note: it's extremely difficult to get kids out of kid-size places until they're ready to leave on their own. Although, to his credit, he did try to pull me in the very small door:-)



Is this too cute, or what?

I'm fairly certain the deer didn't pay for admission, but we'll let it slide just because they were so pretty (ie,"neat" that's just for you, Summer;-)

Just waitin' for the paper to finish printing;-)


Mama...I don't think the realtor is in, but I'll keep an eye out for him!









The train was a HUGE hit as you can imagine!






































Then it was off to the playground which was "so fun" as the schnitz informed me after every ride down the slide!!:-)

And so ends a fantastic day in the mountains! Can't wait to go again!

8 comments:

The Donegans said...

You got some great pix! It was a blast. I had to roll down the windows to keep the kids from fallng asleep (if they did no naps would be had once we got home). They were exhausted. It all worked out! So glad we didn't go today:)

Anonymous said...

Hey - I wanna go! That looks "so fun"!

Karrie said...

Amanda-It really was a great time and I'm SO glad you thought of it! Rusty was out cold before we ever hit 470, but fortunately the rain made him sleep in an extra hour today so it's all evened out now. And ditto on not going today! Would have been a VERY different experience:-)

Angela-You're more than welcome to join us! Come on up b/c as you obviously heard it's "so fun"!;-)

Janice said...

I'd definitely be in for the trip next time! So sad I couldn't make it this time, but the dairy was calling (and a great day outside as well). You took some really cute pictures Karrie and the miniature houses are adorable.

MightyMom said...

looks like lots of fun, but as my 4 year old is 4 feet tall, he's probably already too big for "tiny town" and we'll have to find "medium sized town" to go and play at!!

Steph said...

Wow! I think Grace would cram herself into those little buildings and still LOVE doing this. FUN!!

Karrie said...

You know, I found myself wishing that I would fit in them!:-) I'm telling you Steph, you ever make it up here you'd be well fed and we could find LOTS of fun stuff to entertain ourselves (oh yeah...our kids too;-)

Anonymous said...

I woulda been tempted to climb into those tiny houses. How fun!!