Sunday, September 14, 2008

Quintessential Cape Cod: Nauset Beach

After our somewhat disappointing outing on Wednesday, we checked the weather and discovered that the next day would be perfect for another beach outing. Since the first beach was on the bayside of the Cape we decided this trip should be to the ocean side. (Please note: my mother has reminded me that schnitzel's first actual experience with the ocean was in Myrtle Beach in December 2007 with them. However, this will be his first time it will be warm enough for him to actually get in the water too:-)

After a bit of research, Nauset Beach in Orleans became our destination. It's located right where the Cape "elbow" bends and is really a fabulous place! Lots of sand, good-sized waves (although the water was pretty calm while we were there), clean restrooms and a food shack that was amazing! We had a fantastic time and had a very difficult time pulling ourselves away. It's definitely on the list for a full day trip next summer!
















As you can tell, the schnitz loves all aspects of the beach. He seems equally enamored with the water and the sand, whether digging in it or just feeling it squish through his toes. (Funny...he's not a fan of playing in the snow at all!:-)

After a long spell of enjoying the sound of the waves and the cool breeze, along with the occasional glimpse of some sea lions playing right off shore, we decided it was time to grab some lunch. As I mentioned there is a food shack right there and for convenience sake we decided to take advantage of its close proximity instead of leaving to find a restaurant in town. Fortune was certainly smiling on that decision! Not only was it convenient, but turned out to have some of the best food we had during our entire vacation! One of my "things" when we go to the Cape is that I have to indulge in at least one bowl of clam chowder while there. Well, let me just say. This place had THE best clam chowder I've ever had! And the lobster fritters? Oh yeah, life is good:-)

I'm adding this picture as a PSA because I love you all. If you go to Cape Cod, go to Nauset Beach and eat here!







We found out that this sign was more to wish you luck than an order. Point was driven home as we watched a seagull pluck a french fry from a woman's hand as it was heading for her mouth! It was at that point we decided to eat our lunch in the car!


I'm pretty sure that the schnitz was in fact the only one on the entire beach who found the seagulls fascinating!









One more trip to the water's edge before loading up to go home. Can't wait to do this again next year!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never realized it was so pretty up there... I've never been!

AW said...

Oh Kare Bear....I LOVE that last shot!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, Karrie! Those are some once-in-a-lifetime shots to remember forever!

Karrie said...

Angela-I highly recommend it...it is SO very beautiful and more relaxing than almost anywhere I've ever been!

Andi-Thank you! A huge compliment coming from you:-)

Sarah-Glad you liked the pics...and that they seem to have captured how much fun we were having!

Anonymous said...

Karrie, I'm just a tad jealous! I've been to Maine once and I was enthralled!
Your pictures are just lovely. It makes me want to be there sooooo badly.
Please soak it all in, let the peace and joy rush over you.

Janice said...

I've never been there, but definitely want to go now! Thanks for all the posts and pictures from your trip. Seagulls can be obnoxious when it comes to stealing your food. I remember when I was 12 and living in San Diego, they stole my cookies I was saving for dessert right out of my little sand castle and was so sad! Good choice to eat in the car.