Thursday, May 29, 2008

Memorial Day Fun at Red Rocks

Ok, so I've had to readjust my thinking, since living here, that Memorial Day should be spent around a pool. For some reason, no matter what the weather conditions just before or after, Memorial Day is never pool weather.

No biggie...I'm nothing if not flexible, right?;-)









And so we move on to what I did do for Memorial Day. Actually pretty cool. I agreed to have lunch with my friend Ivi and her friend Kristen up in Morrison, CO. This is a small town that is located in the foothills overlooking Denver and the home of a place called Red Rocks Amphitheatre. Now, although I have lived here for what is rapidly approaching the 6 year mark, I had never actually been out to Red Rocks and Ivilina found this fact appalling. I guess I've hit some kind of statute of limitations in such matters;-) Needless to say, lunch wasn't the only thing on the agenda...I needed a proper introduction to an important part of the Denver landscape!



Little bit of history just because I think it's cool. Red Rocks is a huge outdoor amphitheatre that plays host to any number of events from concerts to outdoor movies to Easter Sunday services (during which it always snows and thus, your's truly, will likely never be able to verify this personally:-)


Sorry for the tangent...moving on...Red Rocks was actually one of the works projects completed during the Great Depression. It began as a private venture before the depression, but was finished after being sold to the city of Denver and having the labor provided by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and Work Projects Administration (WPA).


(Is it just me or are there an awful lot of amazing things that came out of the Great Depression...hmmmm....food for thought.)


According to what I've read, the theatre is bordered by two three hundred foot sandstone monoliths, has perfect acoustics and was once listed as one of the seven natural wonders of the world. Who knew?? I just know that it is really beautiful up there and I'm thinking that I'll have to go to an event out there at some point.


Hey Steph...if you ever make good on that vacation promise maybe we can catch one of the movies out there...fun!!!

And now some additional pics...just to fully share the day with all of you. Enjoy!

Now if this view doesn't make your heart happy...nothing will.




How cool is this??



Isn't it amazing when plants seem to be growing out of sheer rock?

2 comments:

Steph said...

ah, red rocks. yes. two of my favorite bands (u2 and dave matthews band) have recorded live albums at this venue.

we should check out the concert scene if i end up coming...

FUN!!!

these shots are gorgeous.

Karrie said...

You come up here and I'll see what I can do! Maybe if I keep upping the ante you'll make it? I've already offered every dessert you've asked for, but if a trip to Red Rocks is what it takes...;-)

It really was great being up there...glad you liked the pics!