Monday, May 12, 2008

Seven Random Bits of Info

Ok, my friend Steph posted her seven random things approximately a million years ago and tagged me to list seven random things about myself, so here goes:

1) Ok, let's start with the most random....the pinky nail on my left hand is crooked. Apparently, when I was about one, I wasn't always so good at doing what I was told and when my mom asked me to walk ahead of her through a door, I turned around and the tip of my pinky got snipped off in the door. No need for a lot of sympathy here (well, you should probably have some for my mom!), the doctor did a great job putting me back together and my memory doesn't extend back that far!:-)

2) I am completely incapable of answering the question, "where are you from?" without a five minute explanation. I'll put the shortest explanation here and see if any of you can help me out with a shorter response (map provided to help you follow along):






Born in Scottsbluff, (western) NE then left for Loveland, CO a few weeks later. Apparently, my parents had technically moved prior to me being born, but my mom didn't want to change doctors at the last minute.

Moved to San Jose, CA at 6 months, on to Henderson, CO at 1 1/2 years old and then back to Scottsbluff about 2 months later.

Moved from Scottsbluff to Mitchell, NE (just down the road) when I was five.

Moved from Mitchell to Herndon, VA at age eleven (beginning of sixth grade) and to Plano, TX at sixteen (middle of junior year).

Graduated from high school and left for Tech.

Stayed in Lubbock for two degrees/seven years then moved back to the Dallas area.

However, during those seven years, my parents had moved to Phoenix for one year and then to Richardson, TX.

Lived in Richardson for two years with my parents while finishing the 3rd degree (because I am a TOTAL glutton for punishment!) and then moved into an apartment across town. Stayed there for two years until I was thirty at which point I got married and moved to Denver....making a GIANT circle!

I'm sorry, is it just me or would that make it a difficult question for anyone to answer??:-)


3) I have something of an unnatural level of irritation revolving around the delivery of phone books. I'm sorry, but who uses an actual phone book anymore and why would anyone need one from every phone company in the area plus a local edition? Seriously, give me a choice to opt out on this one...I don't need anything else cluttering my house and even my environmental consciousness kicks in when I think of all of that wasted paper!

4) I absolutely LOVE to read, but have an almost equal loathing for writing. Thus the reason you should all be very impressed that I'm actually making an effort to keep up this blog:-) The most tormented times of my scholastic career were initiated by a teacher saying, "Take out a piece of paper and write a story". "A story about what??" "ANYTHING"!!!! Uggghhh. I am a total imagination parasite...just give me a book and test me on it...don't make me troll the wasteland which is my imagination:-)

5) The only thing I craved while I was pregnant was tomatoes. Any kind really. I would down a bag of cherry tomatoes in a day and a jar of salsa almost in a sitting. Crazy! Oddly enough, my child is a big, big fan of them too!


6) There are a couple of commercials that, without fail, make my head want to explode. The first are the Pepto commercials where they sing about a variety of bodily functions over and over and over and over. Ugghh....do they really think the entire population is made up of 13 year old boys? The other series of commercials that make me crazy are those new "Clearasil gives you confidence" ones. You know, the ones where they use Clearasil and apparently lose their zits AND all sense of socially appropriate boundaries?

Feel free to laugh at my rant about the commercials....Brad does frequently!:-)

7) My husband and I were just friends for nine years before we ever decided to date...even though everyone we knew said we would get married one day! What can I say, neither of us listen very well:-)

Ok, I'm tagging Janice and Andi...can't wait to see what you come up with!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You write just like you talk...I LOVE it!
Cool that you love tomatoes, they're good for you, or at least you did while p.g.
I hate those commercials too, quite irritating.
This was fun!

The Kings said...

I miss my weekly dose of crazy. Thank you for providing it via blogs!

Steph said...

do you remember us talking about my love for writing and your loathing it back in college? i think you may have bribed me to write a few papers for you. ;)

p.s. phone books are of the devil.

Karrie said...

Jen-I'm glad you're enjoying these! That's quite a compliment given how much I enjoy your posts (and always nice to know people enjoy me in person too;-)

And actually, I DO enjoy tomatoes all the time, I just tend to indulge in more sane amounts when not pg. I'm actually pondering trying to grow some of my own this year, but I tend to have the "black thumb of death" when it comes to plants, so we'll see.

Todd-I'm going to choose to take that as a compliment...ahh...the power of positive thinking;-)

Steph-I DO remember us talking about that, but I want to state for the record that I never had you write any of my papers...come on, I'm WAY too much of a rule follower for that!:-)

Thank you for your support on the phone book issue!! Maybe they'll disappear like the dinosaurs they are one day!

Elisa said...

My lovely sister teaches second grade, and one year when she was teaching her 7 year olds about bees she got really upset every time the Nasonex commercial came on. She would rant about how bees don't have teeth and their legs were all wrong. I think she worried her students would see the commercial and get confused. I liked to tease her about how bees don't actually talk either - especially like Antonio Banderas. :-)

Anonymous said...

You are too funny! loved this post!