Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Face of Misery

I have discovered that the only thing sadder than when I myself am sick, is watching my poor baby when he is sick. So crazy, Tuesday morning he was feeling SO good that he was an actual danger to himself just because of the way he was careening through the house. Woke up from his nap at about 3:30 that afternoon and seemed fine until about 15 minutes later when he proceeded to lose the contents of his stomach no less than 5 times before 6:00. Yikes! Took him up to urgent care because he doesn't have any weight to spare. Fortunately the doc gave us a script for phergan as it made it possible for him to keep down at least water yesterday. He didn't have a fever on Tuesday night, but by the time we took him in to see his actual pediatrician yesterday at 2:00, it was up to 101 and she diagnosed him with his first ear infection. In order to get him feeling better ASAP, she decided to give him the antibiotics via two shots instead of oral antibiotics which he just LOVED. So basically it seems that in a matter of 24 hours, he's managed to come down with a stomach virus AND ear infection! Doesn't that just seem like a bit much?


Needless to say, the day was spent on the couch yesterday alternating between sleeping on me and his pillow/blanket combo. Now, those of you who haven't spent time around him don't realize how bad this means he's feeling. My child has fallen asleep on me maybe 3 times in his life and never on the couch. He's definitely a "put me in my bed and let me sleep" kind of kid. Poor baby.

Here's hoping that today is better!

9 comments:

AW said...

I'm so sorry Kare. Poor little schnitz. I understand though...there is nothing more depressing to me than seeing my little monkey sick. It breaks my heart because he can't tell me what's wrong. All he can do is cry. Those ear infections...I'm so sorry. Been there, done that, don't want to go back. :-(

You'll be in my thoughts!

Karrie said...

Thanks girlie-girl...I really appreciate it! He did a little bit better today, but still spent most of the day either sleeping or half-comatose on the couch with me. I've never had an ear infection, but from what I've seen...not good:-( I can't wait until he's really talking and can TELL me what hurts, etc. Surely that's got to make it a little easier, right?

AW said...

Kare, I've had a couple ear infections before in those lovely Kansas winters. Not fun. Not at all. It's no wonder poor R looks like he does.

How is he today???

Karrie said...

Yeah, I've never actually seen him look THIS bad! Of course, he's never had a fever that high either. And given that he's combined a stomach virus and ear infection with getting in his 2nd year molars...I'm thinking that he looks better than I would in his place!

He's actually doing better today. No fever, eating a little bit of food and even a little bit of playing around and smiling tonight. Seems like he just might be on the uphill swing! Any prayers are still appreciated though:-)

Steph said...

aw, poor little guy!! you can see the misery on his face. :( glad he's better now.

Unknown said...

OK- I'm sooo glad to have this link!!

Karrie said...

S-I know...isn't that just sad?? But, he is officially back to 100% and full on "destructo-force"...and my house proves it:-) Ah well, I'd rather have to "refind" my house every night and have him well than a clean house and have him be so very miserable!!

T-Welcome! I hope you enjoy this site as much as I've been enjoying your's!:-)

Anonymous said...

Glad your little babe is back to normal. Man, he is even cute when he is sick.

Anonymous said...

I have to say, he's the cutest little dude, even when he's sick...oh, Summer already said that. Oh well. I'm glad he's better now. It breaks my heart when they're ill.