Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Allergies are from the Devil!!!

Ok, I am going to take this opportunity to just say that there is NO way that it can be fair that I live in what is essentially a desert and yet am THIS CLOSE to dying from the allergies that have so unfairly attacked me. I'm not usually a drama queen, but this is not a normal time. Ugggh...I can't breathe, see, stop coughing or think straight.


We won't even go into the fact that my poor child now not only has to deal with being allergic to wheat, eggs, dairy, soy (and possibly beef...good grief!), but he apparently was unable to escape the double-barrelled threat of having not one, but two parents afflicted with this stuff. So, you guessed it, he's sneezing, coughing and requiring 3,000 tissues just like we are! Poor critter.


Ya'll aren't going to believe this, but I'm so desperate at this point that I actually just guzzled luke-warm water with 1/2 tsp of cinnamon mixed in because I read somewhere online that it would help. Ummm....can you say GROSS? But, if it works I'll let you know! Who knows? I tried water with cucumber and lime for my swollen ankles when I was pregnant after reading about it online and that worked so maybe I'll get lucky again!:-)


Anybody have any other remedies that have worked? By all means...let me know! I have fantastic timing and have agreed to help my old office out 10 hours a week for the next month or two and I'm pretty sure they expect me to have some sort of cognitive functioning. Needless to say, that is an unrealized hope at the moment.


Just to leave you with something not quite so pathetic, here is a picture of the world's MOST patient cat. Sweet Nala actually stayed by my side all night even once my incessant coughing had driven my poor husband to the basement to sleep! Such a good kitty:-)


5 comments:

Steph said...

austin is apparently the "allergy capital of the world." (seriously, goodle that and you'll see...) so, i'm feeling ya. unfortunately, i have not been able to find any home remedies that work. my doctor perscribed grace and i allegra and an allergy nasal spray. works wonders. i watch the allergy forecast just like i watch the weather. if certain things are high, i pop an allegra and am good to go. it's not cheap, but OH, so worth it.

hope you're able to find relief soon!!

love ya!

Steph said...

well, in case you're wondering what "goodle that" means, (ahem) i meant to say "google that," of course. ;)

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried a neti pot? It's an anciet method of rinsing the sinuses....go ahead an gag now.
But it works. It's a little ceramic or plastic container, looks like a 'genie's lamp' that you mix warm water and sea salt to get saline. Tilt your head to the side, pour the saline in one nostril and it comes out the other. It rinses all the pollen and crud out and you feel so much better. Do this once a day for a while and you'll notice a big difference. I have. google it.
That and flonase! LOL

Karrie said...

Steph-Uggg...Austin is pretty, but feelin' your pain!

Jen-I've never actually heard of a neti pot, but I'll certainly look into it! Makes sense that if you get rid of the irritant, you get rid of the irritation! Bonus...we just came up with a new bumper sticker motto....if only I were a bumper sticker person;-)

Anonymous said...

Eat local honey :). Supposedly, your body gets a good dose of everything that is causing the allergies. My mom did that when she moved to Denver...
How old is Nala?
Destiny :)