Monday, April 14, 2008

Hope Springs Eternal!

So, after the dismal weather showing of last week consisting of grey skies, cold temps and 8 inches of snow on Thursday, we finally got a break yesterday! I now have at least a glimmer of hope that Colorado will in fact indulge in spring and maybe even summer this year!

In celebration of this change in the weather, we went on a hike after church to an area called Castlewood Canyon with our friends Chuck and Ivilina. It's a beautiful spot and only about a 20-25 minute drive straight south from our house. Needless to say, it's one of our favorite spots.

Rusty loved the hike! There were dogs of every size and shape all along the trail and so we were treated with a continous stream of "dog" and "woof woof" as well as a lot of smiles. He was also fascinated with the boulders. I can't say as I blame him. I think they're pretty cool too!:-)

We had a great time and decided that we definitely need to take advantage of the scenery we're surrounded by here in Colorado by going on a lot more hikes this summer. We're also planning on another caming trip to Sylvan Lake. It's located about 20 or 30 minutes west of Vail (about a 2 1/2 hour drive from our house) and is one of the prettiest spots I've ever seen! We went over Labor Day weekend last year and loved it. The only downside is that by that time of year it got REALLY cold at night! So, this next trip will probably take place closer to the middle of summer and less likely to lead to potential hypothermia:-)

Here's a few pictures from last year's trip. Isn't it gorgeous??

Ahhh.....Colorado in the summer is much more up my alley than winter, can you tell? Kind of makes you want to come visit and go camping with us, now doesn't it?:-)

6 comments:

Steph said...

heck, yeah it does!

i seriously may come see y'all this summer. better get ready. ;)

Karrie said...

Sounds good to me!!:-)

Janice said...

Glad to see you've joined the blogging world, Karrie! Keep it up, and maybe I'll be inspired to blog more than my twice a month record I've got right now.

Love the pictures of Rusty in the carrier and Castlewood Canyon. We should go together sometime as we've got a car pass now.

Anonymous said...

Karrie, that bottom picture lowers my heart rate.
I so wish I could be camping there...in about 3 months.

Karrie said...

Thanks, Janice! I'll do my best:-) We should definitely do the Castlewood thing...one of my favorite "quick trips" for sure.

Looking forward to our field trip tomorrow!

Jen-I'm so glad you liked the pic. It really is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been! Come on up in 3 months...we'll share with you!:-) BTW...when do you think ya'll will move back to Lubbock? We tend to make it down there a couple of times per year and like to get a group of IABC alums together for dinner and stuff. It would be great to see you!

The Donegans said...

Yeah!!! So glad to see your blog. Colorado looks beautiful. We miss it! Can't believe how big Rusty is!!! WOW! Hope all is well...