Friday, April 18, 2008

Songs and memories

I read a friend's post the other day about how young she was when she began to recognize her love of this country and the things that influenced her personal politics. I too have a great love for this country and some pretty definite personal politics which got me to thinking about the first clear memory I have related to this topic.

I found this video of the opening ceremony for the Pope's speech at the White House earlier this week. It's of the Army Choir singing "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" and I think it is fantastic (disclaimer: I have been informed that this is not a popular song with those from the south, but my purpose of this post is not a north/south debate...promise:-) I have the most distinct memory of being not more than five or six, standing on a pew in my grandparents' church in Gering, Nebraska singing this song while standing next to my Uncle Les, dressed in his Marine dress blues. Even at that young age, I felt an incredible amount of pride to be a part of this country and to have my beloved uncle (you would love him too...he's awesome:-) be such an integral part of defending it. That same emotion gets stirred and honestly brings tears to my eyes every time I hear this song. It is a powerful reminder of how incredibly lucky we all are to live here. No matter what is going on politically, economically or otherwise, there is NOWHERE in the world I would rather be.



I only hope that as Rusty gets older, Brad and I are successful in teaching him what a truly great nation we live in, how very blessed we are to do so, and to be truly appreciative of all those who continue to defend it with their lives.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Beautiful song, Karrie. I didn't know this song wasn't popular in the South. We sing it in church from time to time...hmmm?

I'd love to meet your uncle, if you love him he must be amazing. And Rusty will learn your values, you and Brad will inspire him to greatness, I have no doubt.

I wonder who's blog you were reading? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Karrie, I'm the one who removed that first comment. I spelled your name wrong...but now I'm telling you, so I guess it doesn't matter that I removed it, except that I thought it was rude to spell your name wrong and not correct it...so I did. :-)

You're awesome.

Steph said...

oh, wow. i remember singing this in my grandparents church, too.

wouldn't it have been awesome to have seen this in person?! at three minutes in when they go into the slower a cappella verse i got chills.

Reagan&Jenn said...

Wow, Karrie!

I was amazed, and yes, I too got the BIG-TIME CHILLS as the Battle Hymn of the Republic was sung by- none other than the Marine Corps Choir, those who are so, how can I describe? Personally disciplined, corporately committed, consistently persistent, always-vigilant, and nationally dignified. Wow, as the song slowed, stopped in its solemn section, and finally moved on to the final stanza, yes- I too was stopped in my tracks.

And to think that your uncle is a part of such a great organization- I am sure he is no exception to the above description. What a great country we DO live in! And at such a pivotal time in our history, it is always, but especially now, a great reminder of how very much the people who serve our country do for us on a daily basis.

Please send our thanks to your uncle, and thanks to all of our troops for protecting us , and thank you for helping us to remember, that FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!

God bless America,
Reagan.